If you are planning to travel to Laos, you might be wondering if you can use an eSIM to stay connected while you are there. An eSIM is a digital version of the SIM card that you use to connect your phone to your network provider. It is a chip inside your phone that can be reprogrammed to suit whatever network you want to use.
In this article, we will answer the question: does Laos support eSIM? We will also compare the advantages and disadvantages of using an eSIM versus a traditional SIM card in Laos, and give you some tips on how to choose the best option for your needs.
Is eSIM available in Laos?
As of November 2023, Laos was in the early stages of eSIM adoption. Only two of the four local mobile network operators offered eSIM services: Unitel and Lao Telecom. However, this might change in the near future, as eSIM technology is becoming more popular and widespread around the world.
There are also some international eSIM providers that have eSIMs for Laos specifically, or regional or global eSIMs that cover Laos and many other countries. Some of these eSIM providers are Airalo, Alosim, Holafly, and SimOptions.
These eSIM providers allow you to buy and activate an eSIM online, without needing to visit a physical store or scan a QR code. You can choose from different data plans and durations, depending on your needs and budget. You can also switch between different eSIM profiles on your phone, if you have more than one eSIM or if you want to use your home SIM card for some purposes.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using an eSIM in Laos?
Using an eSIM in Laos has some benefits and drawbacks that you should consider before deciding whether to use one or not. Here are some of the main pros and cons of using an eSIM in Laos:
Advantages of using an eSIM in Laos
- Convenience: You can buy and activate an eSIM online, before or during your trip, without needing to visit a physical store or scan a QR code. You can also switch between different eSIM profiles on your phone, if you have more than one eSIM or if you want to use your home SIM card for some purposes.
- Availability: You can buy an eSIM from anywhere in the world, at any time, even if you are already in Laos. You do not need to worry about finding a store that sells SIM cards or has the right size or type of SIM card for your phone.
- Environmentally friendly: You can reduce your plastic and paper waste by using an eSIM, as you do not need to use a physical SIM card or its packaging. You also avoid CO2 emissions from shipping or transportation of SIM cards.
Disadvantages of using an eSIM in Laos
- Compatibility: You need a phone that supports eSIM technology, which is not available on all models or brands. You also need to make sure that your phone is compatible with the frequencies and bands used by the eSIM provider and the local network in Laos.
- Cost: You might pay more for an eSIM than for a traditional SIM card, depending on the eSIM provider and the data plan you choose. You also need to pay in advance for the eSIM, and you might not be able to use all the data you paid for if you leave Laos before the eSIM expires.
- Customer service: You might have less access to customer service or technical support if you use an eSIM, as you might not be able to contact the eSIM provider or the local network operator easily or quickly. You might also have less flexibility or options to change or cancel your eSIM plan if you are not satisfied with it.
- Compatibility: If you decide to go for an international eSIM, please know that some of the local apps may not be accessible to you. LCR for instance is the train ticketing app for Laos and requires a local Lao number to register. It is the same for LOCA, the most renowned ride hailing app in Laos.
- Local eSIM are not available at the airport. You would have to visit Unitel or LaoTelecom customer center to activate your eSIM.
How to choose the best eSIM for Laos?
If you decide to use an eSIM in Laos, you should compare different eSIM providers and plans to find the best one for your needs. Here are some factors to consider when choosing an eSIM for Laos:
- Coverage: You should check the coverage map of the eSIM provider and the local network operator in Laos, to make sure that you can get a good signal and data speed in the places you plan to visit. You should also check if the eSIM covers other countries you might want to visit during your trip, or if you need to buy a separate eSIM for each country.
- Data: You should estimate how much data you need for your trip, based on your usage habits and the activities you plan to do online. You should also check the data allowance, validity, and speed of the eSIM plan, and compare them with the price and the quality of the service.
- Reviews: You should read the reviews and ratings of the eSIM provider and the eSIM plan, from other customers who have used them in Laos or other countries. You should look for feedback on the reliability, performance, and customer service of the eSIM provider and the eSIM plan.
In conclusion, Laos does support eSIM, and you can use an eSIM in Laos from one of the local or international eSIM provider. Using an eSIM in Laos has some advantages and disadvantages that you should weigh before making your decision. You should also compare different eSIM providers and plans to find the best one for your needs.
We hope that this article has answered your question: does Laos support eSIM? If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. We would love to hear from you. Happy travels!
If you are looking for a reliable, affordable, and convenient way to stay connected in Laos, you should consider buying a physical local SIM card from our online store. Unlike eSIMs, which are not widely available in Laos and might have compatibility, cost, or customer service issues, physical local SIMs are easy to use and offer great coverage, data, and flexibility. You can order your SIM card online and have it delivered to your hotel address in Laos prior to your arrival. You can also choose from different plans and operators, depending on your needs and preferences. You can enjoy calls and texts within Laos, and up to 60 GB of data. You can also top up your SIM card online or at any convenience store in Laos.
Don’t miss this opportunity to get the best deal for your mobile communication in Laos. Order your physical local SIM card from shop.internetlaos.com today and enjoy the benefits of staying connected with your friends, family, and business partners while you explore the beautiful and diverse country of Laos.